Monday, May 16, 2011

Igniting a fire...

My name is Sissy and I am a passionate follower of Christ.  I haven't always been this way, but God has transformed me.  Back in November of 2010 God told me to become a long term missionary in Greece.  To be honest, it was a lot to take in.  I wasn't quite sure God was talking to the right person...no way...not me.  But I finally realized that He was in fact calling me to move to Greece. I still have to raise the funds to move, but God will provide. 
I have recently returned from a short term trip to Greece.  The trip was 9 days and I went with a team from Celebration Church.  I knew God had called me to Greece, but I didn't realize the desire to be there and the passion He would stir in me.  It was an absolutely amazing trip.  
                                         
We were able to partner with Hellenic Ministries on several events.  The first event we attended was their Worship Night.  Talk about people on fire for Christ!  It was an evening dedicated to worship, word, and prayer.  The message and worship was in both English and Greek.  I was on such a Holy Spirit high after that night, that it was difficult to get to sleep.  We were also able to serve with Hellenic Ministries during their "Love Meals."  This was a day where there doors were open to the many refugees living in the city.  The refugees were mostly Muslim and were welcomed with open arms and hearts.  Each person was given a meal of soup, bread, olives, and water.  Before they ate someone from Hellenic Ministries presented a message of Christ's love for them...telling them how important they are.  What an amazing sight of love. There are so many different things this ministry does to help the people of Athens, Greece.  I can't wait to help with other events.
                                               
Another organization we were able to work with was Helping Hands.  These beautiful people are there to serve refugees in the city.  They provide meals, tea, clothing and showers...just to name a few.  I was able to help with the school age children.  Many of which live in a local park.  They taught me a few words in their language of Farsi and I was able to show them the love of Christ. 
In a section of Athens there are many, many brothels and street prostitution.  We were able to do a prayer walk with some of the ladies with Nea Zoi.  This organization was established to help the women who want to get out of the life they are living.  Many of the women who are in these brothels and street prostitution are trafficked women.  Many have been emotionally beaten down and their self worth is non existent. Nea Zoi is there to help provide that hope and love that they need.
I am now starting to see why God has called me to Greece.  There is such a need and so many hurting people.  He hasn't given me all the details, but He has told me to go and I must follow in obedience.  I am so excited to see what God has in store.  I pray that He continues to use me.
                               

No comments:

Post a Comment